Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Three Christmas Promises

In the excitement of Christmas being the next day Whitney had not wanted to sleep. However, her father told her she needed to go to bed. So her response was to ask for a Christmas story to be read to her. As her father got up to go read her a story her grandmother interrupted and said I can read her a story. This excited Whitney because her grandmother was not always here to read her a story. Her father told her “Whitney your grandmother is going to read you a story.” Whitney smiled at this and headed to her room. Her grandmother following in her steps. As her grandmother came into the room and sat beside her bed she said “I’m not going to read you a story tonight, but I’m going to tell you about my best Christmas ever.” Whitney was a little disappointed, but her grandmother did tell fascinating stories.

It all started on the night before Christmas. I was in a depressing mood because I had no one to spend Christmas with. My boyfriend of five years, Johnny a soldier was stuck overseas due to a deployment. Even though he promised me he would be home for Christmas he couldn‘t make it. I didn‘t fault him for this, but I felt bad he still couldn‘t come home. So deep in sadness I headed home from work. I passed many happy people which made me even more sad. So when I finally arrived home I was more sad than when I left work. So I did what I always did to drown the sorrows. I took out a glass of milk and some chocolate chip cookies and ate them. I did this on the window sill seat in my living room. As I stared up at the stars in the sky wondering how Johnny was doing. I saw a shooting star and I made a wish. My wish was that people would keep their Christmas promises to me. After putting the plate and glass in the sink I headed to bed.

As I drifted off to sleep a noise awoke me. Standing in the room was my childhood friend Tommy. This scared me because he was no longer with us. He said “fear not Jessica, I’m not here to scare you.” I replied with a little shyness, “why are you here? You can’t be here you’re gone.” His reply was a little weird to me. He said “I’m here because you called me.” “I did not” “Yes, when you made a wish on the star you made a call to my boss for help, he in turn sent me to help grant your wish.” “Really how is this possible.” He said “my boss has granted me powers to bring about your wish. Your wish for your Christmas promises to be kept. So I have decided to grant your wish in three parts. You will be visited tonight by three people who have not kept their promises. Once their promise is fulfilled they will disappear and the next person will be here.” As he said this he drifted away and I fell back to sleep.

I awoke an hour later to a knock on my front door. I got out of bed to answer it. I keep saying “I coming.” However, as I got closer I felt a familiar presence. You know the feeling you get when you know someone you know is there. It was someone I knew I hadn’t seen in forever. As I opened the door I found my father. My first instinct was to shut the door, because the man standing before me was not my father today. But rather a younger version of himself. His first words to me was “Hi, Jessie, are you ready to go Ice Skating.” I said “Ice Skating” then it all came back to me. How he had promised me when I was five years old to go ice skating. However, he had been called into work so I was left there holding my ice skates. As I thought this he reached out his hand. I in turn reached back. When we touched a transformation came over me and I turned into that little girl I had been so long ago. With this change I held my dad’s hand tight because now I was a five year old little girl go ice skating with my father. As we stepped off the porch we appeared at the old pond where I use to skate when I was younger. He said “okay Jessie sit down and I’ll tie your skates on.” I knew my older self could tie my shoes, so I said “I can do it daddy.” However, as I tried I failed over and over. He laughed and sat down next to me and tied my skates on. He said “make a tree, follow the rabbit around the tree, and through the hole, their you go.” Afterwards he picked me up and placed me on the ice. As he did he spoke to me in a soft voice saying “ ok, now take it easy. The first time is always the hardest.” I keep trying to remember how to skate, but I could not so I listen to his instruction. We skated for a whole hour, it was the nest time of my life. However, being tired I sat down in the snow again and I returned to my bedroom. I was a twenty four year old again. I laughed to myself and said it must have been a dream. I got up went to my icebox and pulled out some more milk. I poured me a glass, drank it and went back to sleep.

Finally I dreamed a blissful dream of the time I had spent with my father on the pond. Like it had been real, but it couldn’t have been. However, my dream was awaken by a noise from a room in the house. The noise was a party going on in my home. This could not be because I had no one to party with. So I headed towards the the party and as I enter the room I saw it was the winter formal I had missed all those years ago. The formal I missed because my date did not show. I had dreams about what it was like and to see it going on in my living room was most exhilarating. As I stepped into the room I transformed into that teenage girl who had missed her formal. I even had the dress on which I had painstakingly picked with my mother. Before the dress had stayed in my closet, but now here I was wearing it. As I was admiring the dress the man who left me at home stepped forward. He spoke to me saying “I’m sorry I left you at home, but I still wish you to be my date.” Smiling to myself I thought like my father another man has come to fulfill his promise to me. As I reached for his hand he leaned over and kissed mine. Then pulled me into his arms and we waltz the night away. A hour must have passed while we dance because all of the sudden the ball disappeared and I was dancing alone in my living room. I smiled a little this time wondering who would show up next. So I went back to my room and fell asleep hoping the next to fulfill my promise would come soon.

As I drifted off to sleep I heard a knock on the door. I jumped out of bed and ran to get it. Standing at the door was Johnny who was suppose to be overseas. However, here he was alive standing before me. Could this be another figment of my imagination or could this really be him. Either way I didn’t care because I long to wrap my arms around him. As I did this he laughed and said “if I had known this would be my greeting I would have tried to get an earlier flight.” I said “yes, you deserve every bit of this hug, I wanted you home for Christmas. And when I found you weren’t going to make it I cried myself to sleep.” “Well I’m here” and he dropped his bag on the floor. As he did this he looked at me with those big eyes and said “really what is going on.” I said “a lot lets start a fire and I’ll tell you.” After he started the fire we sat down and I told him the story. I told him about Tommy, my father and the boy who left me at home. He laugh and said what a wonderful dream you had. I cried and said “well the problem is Tommy said I be visited by three people tonight to fulfill Christmas promises. And well you are my third visitor and I think I’m imaging you now sitting in front of this fire with me. As I said this both of us head a sound saying “no Jessica he is real this was my Christmas promise to you. When we were children I said you would find true happiness in Christmas one day. Bringing him here has kept my promise to you, Farewell.” Johnny with a start said “what was that.” I replied “it was Tommy fulfilling his promise to me.” He stayed shock for a bit, but he could not stay that way. He finally came around and said “that was weird. However, it will not deter me from doing what I came to do.” He knelt down on his knees and said “Will you Marry Me.” I cried “yes” and took the ring and placed it on my finger. We hugged and we said “goodnight” to each other.

“That man is your grandfather Whitney. Did you like the story?” “It was wonderful grandma I loved it so much.” With saying this she drifted off to dream land and I smiled and went downstairs. Even though most people won’t believe me. I knew the story I just told her was true and I laughed and said to my son “Merry Christmas Son.” He replied “Merry Christmas” and I sat down and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment